Sunday, September 27, 2009

Autumn is definitely here

I don't think I'd been to the plot for 2 weeks until today. I was away last weekend. It hasn't rained for a while so everything looked bone dry.

I didn't know what to expect as things can change quite a lot in 2 weeks. Things looked ok. The cabbages are nearly ready to harvest so I'll probably take one next weekend. The green manure has grown to about 8 inches high already. The Jerusalem artichokes have grown to almost twice my height (I am about 5 foot 8 btw). Many of the leeks look like they are finally taking off. The squash has started to develop an interesting orange/green stripey look. The forecast suggests that there might be a frost later in the week so I wanted to harvest the squash if possible.



The first job was to plant a redcurrant bush into Bed 3. I dug it out of the garden yesterday as part of a tidy up and I figure that the soil in Bed 3 is too rough right now for veg. Might as well have something more solid occupying it.

Then I picked some blackberries and veg and added the courgette plants to the compost heap. I gave everything a good watering before coming home.



I am very pleased with my Autumn bounty.

No comments: