Sunday, October 25, 2009

What I did with that extra hour

It was quite sunny this morning but as I was going to leave for the plotment it starting to shower. It soon cleared and I headed over with the intention only to add some veg peelings to the compost heap (a bit too wet for digging). I stayed for a little while longer though to do a spot of handweeding round the leeks. I harvested the remaining beetroot, some of which I'll give to some friends. I also spotted a couple of parsley seedings nearby that were starting to put on some growth - remnants of one of the 2 parsley plants I transplanted earlier in the year. I dug them up to plant in the border at home. Hopefully, they'll continue to put on growth and it'll be possible to harvest some over Christmas.

There are a few sprouts appearing on the Brussels in Bed 7 which is very exciting. Only on a couple of plants but that's ok. Some look to have blown a bit but I might start harvesting a few next weekend to freeze if they are good enough. The aim is have enough for Christmas dinner. Fingers crossed.

2 comments:

Shaheen said...

Fingers crossed that you will have some of your own sprouts on your plate for Christmas, as for the blown sprouts - why don't you make a potato and sprout soup. It is one of my favourite ways to eat sprouts, disguised!

Jean said...

Hmm. Home grown organic produce for Christmas. Yum!