Sunday, April 13, 2008

Shower dodging...

  • ...at home and on the allotment. This is not as disgusting as it sounds - our bathroom is being renovated and the old shower has been removed so only baths this weekend. On the allotment, the mornings have been quite sunny but the afternoons are a bit damp.

    Yesterday, I sowed some peas (some Early Onward of which I bought half a pint at the Ryton Potato Day - far too much for me - and some Sugar Snap Delikett which did really well last year). I am a bit worried that I didn't sow them deep enough but I have tried to cover them with wire (see piccie below) to prevent the mice taking too many. Hopefully, in a couple weeks, I should see some germination.



    Today, I planted some first and second early spuds (after forking over the ground yesterday - see below). Rather than digging trenches and ending up with an aching back (albeit temporarily), as I did last year, I used a bulb planter which I bought from Tesco for about £2. It seemed to work ok but the soil was a bit wet for it. A fellow allotmenteer considered the use of such an implement for spud planting to be "posh".

I planted:

  • Pentland Javelin (x11)
  • Nadine (x5)
  • Milva (x10)
  • Kestrel (x10)

It was a tab awkward having different quantities of different varieties but I have labelled them up ok.

No comments: