Sunday, December 13, 2009

Too damp to dig...

...today. No-one else was at the site. The morning was nice and sunny but it greyed over in the early afternoon. I nipped over to Plot 35 (it had been ages) in my wellies to check things out. I was all ready for some digging but it was simply too wet for digging, soil sticking to the boots and all that. Nevermind. So I harvested some stuff instead.

I dug up a few kilos of Jerusalem artichokes which I'll take into work this week for colleagues to take home (reserving some to try mangocheek's stoved Jerusalem artichokes recipe). I also took a small handful of parsnips (first of the year), a cabbage, three small horseradish roots, a few baby leeks (to use like spring onions) and a couple of handfuls of Brussels.

I was pleasantly surprised to find that the weeds hadn't taken over too much at the plot. I am looking forward to having some time over Christmas to tend to the allotment and garden.

3 comments:

Shaheen said...

Sorry to hear that you didn't get any work done, but at least you got a harvest. It was really foggy here, so I didn't get anything done at the plot either.
Lookign forward to what you think of the recipe, I think I found them just okay, but that's because I'm not really a fan of the artichoke. Enjoy the rest of your week, not long before we break up for the holidays :D

FlowerPowerGirl said...

Thanks mangocheeks, I'll let you know how the recipe turns out. I like fartichokes but I am slightly bored of soup so fancy trying something different with them. You enjoy your week too and I hope the fog clears for you for next weekend.

Anonymous said...

Hmmm. Sounds tasty stuff afoot. We are back on turkey for Christmas Day so all veg appreciated.