Sunday, February 14, 2010

Happy Valentines Day



It was much milder today than it has been of late. About 7 degrees Centigrade. Oooo. The sun came out too.

Yesterday, I tidied up some of the pots on the patio at home. They had got into a right mess. Now I have more room for new plants.

Today, I started slowly by sowing some seeds: rhubarb, aubergine, peppers and chillies. I have put the chillies into the airing cupboard to keep them warm. I also sowed some salad leaves and Paris Market carrots in pots on the patio. I covered these with a pane of glass lent by a neighbour. It's good to get an early start.

After that, I headed over to the plot. The soil was almost perfect for digging. I dug over and weeded the bed where the parsnips were - about 4x2m. I found some small parsnips as I went along. It seems that the ones I chiseled out before Christmas were the largest there were. I also dug up some Jerusalem artichokes from the neighbouring patch of soil.

3 comments:

Shaheen said...

I need to start thinking about growing soon too. Carrots in pots is one of the ways forward for me.

Bet those Jerusalem artichokes look fab dug straight from the ground.

jean said...

Fab narcissi.

Sue Garrett said...

Wish our plot was perfect for digging - just wet and soggy at the moment!