Sunday, February 28, 2010

Drier than expected

Today was not half as wet as it was forecast though it was grey for most of the day. Yesterday had sunny intervals and was quite mild at 7-8C. I nipped over to the plot yesterday to cut down some of the brambles at the bottom of the plot. It was amazing how much I managed to cut down in 2 hours. Another session should do it and then I can start digging some roots out.

While I was over there I met my new next door neighbours - 2 couples who seem to be sharing their plot. They seem very nice and I look forward to talking more to them over there.

I came home with a bag of leeks and turned them into soup along with some potatoes from last year.

At home, the sweet peas need planting out but there is no sign of the broad beans. 1 of each of the chilli varities has germinated and the onion seedlings are getting longer (poor germination rate of the white onions). No sign of the sweet peppers or aubergine. 1 rhubarb seedling beginning to sprout. I am putting the poor germination rates down to the light and me sowing too early.

If next weekend is dry then I can cut down the rest of the brambles and dig over one of the beds. Quite frankly, I need the exercise.

2 comments:

Sue Garrett said...

It's always a battle when pruning brambles. I always think I have gone too far but the plants bounce back.

Hope you are not too scratched

FlowerPowerGirl said...

Thank you, Green Lane Allotments. Very small scratches from the battle last week. Worth it though. I plan to finish the cutting down bit this weekend so that I can start digging out roots another time. It would be lovely to get away with having to spray anything to get rid...

I hope you have a fantastic weekend of gardening.