Saturday, July 17, 2010

And this weekend, it's Jerusalem artichokes

3 hours over at the plot today after trimming the garlic I harvested a couple of weeks ago. The most successful type based on the number and size of the bulbs that emerged seemed to be the Germidour. Don't know about the taste yet. Overall, there were maybe a few more larger bulbs that I have managed in previous years but still too many small ones for my liking.

While at the plot I planted out 4 courgette (One Ball), 3 pumpkin, 20 sugarsnap pea and 20 sweetcorn plants. Better late than never. The cucurbits have gone into the ground vacated by the first early spuds.

I saw some nice fellow plotters over at the site today and I managed to give away 8 artichokes. Result! I was thinking about the dozen sitting in the fridge at home waiting to be deal with. Well, while writing this, they are trimmed and being boiled. I am trying a different trimming method than last year. Last year, I pulled off most of the petals, cut up the heart and removed the choke before cooking. This year, I am trying the, hopefully less wasteful, method of trimming the spiky petal ends with scissors and boiling the hearts whole. I'll cool them and remove the petals and chokes later (having a nibble of the petals while I go). I am a bit sceptical but I'll report back. There are lots of different instructions around. After cutting the 20 chokes so far, there are probably at least another dozen to harvest.

Back to the kitchen...

5 comments:

ChickenLover said...

Wow you have had great success with your artichokes. My plants never seem to survive the winter. (But I think you mean globe artichokes, Jerusalem artichokes grow underground, and are known as fartichokes because of their wind inducing properties!)
C

Sue Garrett said...

Aren't these globe artichokes? We inherited a globe artichoke plant but don't really used the heads - the bees love them when they open though.

FlowerPowerGirl said...

Thank you ChickenLover and Green Lane Allotments! I did mean globe not Jerusalem. Sorry.

Shaheen said...

Giving away globe artichokes - a luxury in some quarters. I would have snatched them outta your hand if I was nearby.

I had some cardoons growing at the allotment, similar looking to artichokes but you only ate the stems. I would let them flower for the bees and the colour. I miss seeing that.

Sue Garrett said...

Hi Just wondered whether you were still allotmenting and blogging