Friday, June 6, 2014

A bean post

I had the day off work today (last minute decision) and decided to go over to the plot in the afternoon to make a dent in the weeding.  It was too hot for me so it was a bit uncomfortable.  I weeded around the strawberries and poppies and went home with a large carrier bag crammed full of broad bean pods, a handful of radishes (some of which were not nibbled by something) and 6 scapes from the elephant garlic.

Back at home, I got on with podding the beans.  I weighed them (yay me) and it turned out that 6.844kg of pods lead to 1.892kg of beans.  The bonus was that I had a helper.  Our 2.5 year old helped really nicely.  She liked the popping sound the pods made when breaking and the fact that they sprayed her in the face when she broke them.

For a quick dinner just now, I cooked a veggie stir fry involving some of the beans and half of the scapes.  I plan to cook some broad bean fritters tomorrow.

No comments: