Friday, October 10, 2014

Abnormal service resuming

Cripes, it's been a while.  Since my last post, I came down with a nasty bout of bronchitis at 7.5 months pregnant and that stopped my trips to the plot more than the bump itself.  I made it over a couple of times and could only watch as the weeds took over.  Weatherwise, this summer has been scorching at times.  Had I been able to keep up with the plotting, there could have been bumper crops.

The bronchitis and bump both disappeared by late July and we've been blessed with a new little member of the family.  He has joined me at the plot and handful of times but is not so cooperative yet.  I've had about 3 sessions of speed-hand weeding.  The plan is to clear some ground ahead of a quick forking or hoeing over.

I have a comfy moon chair at the plot so I can sit and feed the baby there.  A nice lady with a nearby plot who hadn't spoken to me before came over to me while I was feeding him to say how lovely it was to see a baby being changed and nursed on the site - something she hadn't seen before.  That was wonderful to hear.

Everything gardening-wise got neglected at the peak of the year so I have few successes to speak of and a few failures.  On the downside, the garlic completely failed.  It may have been the weeds crowding around them or the mild winter we had (so they didn't split into clove) or both.  On the upside, I did harvest my first squash (spaghetti) and the chillies on our windowsill have fruited well despite neglect.

Onwards and upwards.  I've just ordered some Moorland Gold multi-purpose compost and some seeds to sow in the mini-greenhouse to get the next season started.  I will keep trying to get to the plot every now and then even if it is only for 10 mins weeding.  I would love to have some shallots, garlic and broad beans on the plot before Christmas.  I'd love to have the plot cleared, moreorless, before the spring.

I have considered, in the last couple of weeks, relinquishing the plot and just opening up a few more square metres of soil in our small front and back gardens.  However, they are just too shady for many vegetable crops.   As there is no waiting list for plots, I don't think I'm holding anyone else up.  Gardening is my main hobby and aerobic exercise so I will it keep up and hope that the kids will be happier for me to spend time there (with or without them) in the years to come.


No comments: