Saturday, November 1, 2014

I am trying...

We tried to get me an hour or so on the plot last weekend but our very little one wasn't having it.  I eventually snatched 10 mins so did a bit more hoeing but focused on the area I'd been clearing.  Weeds are still germinating so I'll need to keep hoeing that patch for a while.

On Wednesday, which was a wet day, I sowed some winter salad leaves and was ably assisted by our daughter.  I thinly sowed 4 fruit punnets - the number of seeds in the packet was disappointing so I'll hunt down a more economical supply in future.  They have germinated already but I worry they might get a tad leggy in search of the light.  They are on a windowsill upstairs but I might move them the the mini greenhouse outside to join some winter lettuce, spring onions and corn salad that I managed to sow the previous week.  A quick peek today shows that they have all started to germinate.  This might be the first spring onions to germinate for me.  Not for a lack of trying.

It has been a lovely mild day today so I managed to get out for a walk with the little one.  I hoped to get him to sleep for a bit so I could do something on the plot.  He gave me 10 mins before reawakening having noticed that his buggy wasn't moving.  In that time, I moved a few strawberry plants to sit along the top perimeter of the plot, leaving space for a long row of something across the full width of the plot, and had a chat with a fellow plotter who had joined the site recently.  Then I had to head back home for a feed.

My plan is to plant out the purple sprouting plants I bought recently (very late but the label says that they are to be planted in autumn), garlic, elephant garlic and broad beans in the clear (ish) patch at the top.  If I can do that planting this week I'll be happy even if it has to be done in 10 min bursts between feeds and rain showers.  Then I can focus on clearing the next third of the plot, moving the carpet from the bottom third to that middle third and replanting the raspberries right at the bottom.  Clearing the bottom third should be fairly straightforward having been covered for months.

Wish me luck...

No comments: