Monday, October 20, 2014

So close...

When I have managed to get a few minutes on the plot, I invariably leave it with 7/8 of a patch cleared leaving a corner of weeds in an otherwise clear square metre.  When the baby starts expressing discontent, all tools get thrown to the side and the bucket of weeds left for next time.  I got an hour at the plot the weekend before last and the same happened (the baby was asleep but the toddler was being delightfully high maintenance).

Still, I got loads done.  I weeded the last bit left from the previous session and tore down the 3 bamboo cane wigwams that supported the peas and beans that got abandoned.  I ruthlessly cut most of the old leaves away from the comfrey and added them to the compost bin.  I then weeded around the strawberry plants that were overgrown by the comfrey.  A few runners had formed some new plants so they had been busy under the shade.  Finally, I then set about hoeing the several square metres at the very top of the plot.

So now there is almost a 1/5 to 1/4 almost cleared.  Next time, I need to clear the little patch remaining (which had been covered by carpet to smother the couch grass), and move the strawberries and chard.  2 or 3 cabbages can be removed leaving a good bit of space.  I may move the raspberry canes up to that end too.  They don't look well though so ?I may need to replace them.  I've got a bag of manure in the garage to mulch all the fruit with while the ground is nice and wet.

Fingers crossed I'll get 10 mins there tomorrow to do more weeding and hoeing,  Every little bit helps.

No comments: