Sunday, March 12, 2023

Laying down more paths

Today was set to be a fine day weather-wise.  It was certainly milder though a tad breezy at times.  I spent about 5 hours at the plot all told.  In that time, I weeded Beds 1 and 2 and laid down chippings for the paths.  There are now 3 of the 4 original main beds divided into smaller, more manageable beds with just Bed 3 to sort out.  I’ve made a decent dent in the pile of chippings on that bed so can hopefully sort that before Easter when I should be planting spuds there.  


In the process of weeding, I managed to almost fill Bin 4, using damp cardboard between layers of weeds. Before leaving for home, as the drizzle was getting heavier, I raked and bagged up some Holly chippings from near the gate as they had been left there for a few weeks.  Came to 3 full compost bags worth which I used to fill Bin 5.  Might be useful for mulching later in the season or next year.

I am really pleased with the progress made but still lots to do.  I did cut down the raspberry canes but need to properly weed around them before the new growth starts.  I need to do something about the nettles that are starting into growth near the Pear tree.  I also need to tame the hybrid berries in the top right corner (Bed 2).  

I didn’t get around to sowing any seeds this weekend so may need to catch-up in the next few days or next weekend.  

  

No comments: