Sunday, March 26, 2023

Welcome to BST

I forgot to record what happened last weekend.  I am not sure I got up to much aside from buying some decent multi-purpose component and pricking out De Cayenne and Cauliflower seedlings.  Having found that the salad leaves, Chard and Spinach seedlings that been pricked out in the RocketGro compost had almost all died, I salvaged just a couple of the Chard and Spinach seedlings which I had kept back in the original pots of seedlings.  Lesson learnt though it is a shame to have to go further afield to get my favourite compost. 

According to the moon thing, it wasn’t the weekend to sow anything.  With slightly milder weather though, I did move a lot of the seedlings from the house to the greenhouse to get a bit more light.  With a lovely Mothers Day, I didn’t get anything done at the plot.  I did pick some deep purple Hellebore flowers for my mum’s resting place.

Yesterday it was bright but very breezy.  I spent around 3 hours at the plot and focused on transplanting out the Onions and Spring Onions - the former in what is now Bed 4 and the latter along the long sides of Bed 3.  I covered them with fleece.  I also covered the Garlic, in what I am now referring to as Bed 0, with Enviromesh.


Having freed up 3 trays from the Onions, today I spent an hour sowing the following leafy crops:





The Lemon Balm is covered by a plastic bag in the airing cupboard which the others are in the house for the next few nights while the temperature increases a tad.  Meanwhile, germination has continued for the Lemon Drop Chillies and King of the North Peppers so they’ll need pricking out very soon.  

While putting away these packets (all except the Coriander which was used up), I decided to pull out the Brussels Sprouts and Calabrese seeds to sow those tomorrow while there is still time in this leafy phase.  I had planned to sow these in April but if the summer is anything like the last one, I could do with giving them a head-start before the dry weather.  Perhaps I could prick out the Chillies and Peppers too.

I’ve treated myself to some Fruit and Veg Protection nematodes so hopefully they will arrive this week.  It is set to be cold tonight and tomorrow night but then I think the temperatures after that for the next couple of weeks mean it should be viable to water on the nematodes next weekend.

No comments: