Saturday, April 22, 2023

Peas are in

We were away last weekend so had a bit of a gap in gardening.  On the Tuesday after the Easter weekend I did sow some seeds into some outside pots: Turnips, Silverskin Onions, Spring Onions and Radish.  In the greenhouse, I decided to sow some other Leeks as back-up for those I sowed on the allotment.


On Wednesday, I noticed the Tomato seedlings looking quite desperate to be pricked out.  Despite it being an inappropriate day according to the moon phase, I went ahead and pricked them out anyhow knowing I’d likely not have time before the weekend.  There are 5 Quadro and 12 Sungold so I should have enough spare for my dad and in-laws.

Earlier today, I did get some time at the allotment despite earlier weather forecasts showing rain this afternoon.  It was quite pleasant and warm.  I focused on compost turning, having brought over some grass cuttings from the first mowing of the year back at home.  The contents of Bins 1 and 3 are shown below.  Bin 1 has a way to go, and Bin 2 is very similar.  I mixed some grass clippings into both and added some water.  Bin 3 looks almost ready so might be useful for the Cucurbits and Sweetcorn next month.



Mindful of a few colder nights coming up, I wanted to get some mulch onto the Potatoes though they are not showing yet.  I used the 4 half bags of compost mixed with the 3 bags of leaf mold for those.  Helps to tidy the plot up a bit.  

Before leaving, I planted out the 20 cells of Meteor peas into Bed 8.  

On the upstairs windowsill, the French Marigolds are flowering so I’ve nipped these out to push them back a bit and encourage some bushiness.  The Dahlias look ready to pot on.

Tomorrow is forecast to be wet and the rain has already started tonight.  I might go to a garden centre to buy some more of my favourite Melcourt compost.  I do plan to sow Sweetcorn and to prick out the few Brussels Sprouts seedlings that have come up.




No comments: