Sunday, April 9, 2023

Almost there…

Yesterday was a tad wet, though not need as much as forecast so my gardening was focused on today.  It is time for fruiting and flowering plants so I sowed the following:

Tomatoes - Quadro (just 5-6 seeds) and Sungold (11 seeds)



Melon (Emir F1 - trying for the first time) and Cucumber (Marketmore 76 from very old seed and La Diva)


Peas and what I think are Mange Tout saved from last year (harvested and put in a pot without a label - could conceivably be Sweet Peas but I don’t think so).


Several flowers - not sure if the Nigella will work as they were saved and seemed not to have been dried off properly.




Note: Mid-week, I also sowed Calabrese and Brussels Sprouts - bringing forward the sowing date by around a month.


Happily, some spud foliage is showing in each of the pots in the greenhouse.  I was worried the compost was too wet and the tubers would rot off.  I can move them outside when the weather warms up.

On the plot, I weeded the corner of new Bed 4 and replanted 3-4 thin roots of Horseradish and 7 Jerusalem artichokes there.  I brought home a rug full of tubers and I may try fermenting those.  

I then weeded around the Raspberries, moving 4-5 of the to give some more space for new Beds 5 and 6.  Lots of Nettles growing in that area so I willed what I could out.  I then laid down the path between new Beds 5 and 6 and between those and the Raspberries.  I could use the 4 half-bags of rough compost around the canes now they are starting to grow.  

It is set to get down to 0 degrees for the next couple of nights so I’ll hold off watering in the nematodes til the long weekend, along with planting out the main crop spuds and Broad Beans.  I’ll also sow some Carrots and Parsnips.


No comments: