Monday, May 29, 2023

Catching up in second half of May

I spent a few hours on the plot today (Bank Holiday).  It was sunny but not quite as warm as the previous couple of days.  Compost bin 3 was half full of really well-rotted compost so I emptied that to earth up the spuds in Bed 5.  Not enough for those in Bed 6 so I used it to mulch the 28 Sweetcorn plants that I planted out on May 14th.  Sowing them in toilet roll holders worked well and I gave the spare ones to a plot neighbour.





I combined Bins 1 and 2, filling Bin 1 completely.  I almost filled Bin 3 with waste from my in-laws garden, including grass clippings.  

I watered in a pack of nematodes across the plot and removed the collars from the Brassicas in Bed 1.  Some of the Brassicas seem to have succumbed to heat or lack of moisture but I’ve applied some extra water.  Before leaving I planted a Marketmore Cucumber and a Hyssop plant in Bed 6.

Last weekend, I didn’t have much time at the plot but did nip over to plant out some Borlotti and Dwarf Beans, the latter coming from a neighbour.  I planted the Borlotti Beans in Bed 3, in the northern end near where I planted a short row of Yellow Gladioli.  I put the Dwarf Beans between the Garlic in Bed 0.  



A week later, the Dwarf Beans are doing fine but some of the Borlotti have snapped.

At home, I planted out some Peppers, Chillies, Tomatoes, French Marigolds and Aubergines in the greenhouse.  These are in 12 black pots which I filled with homemade compost, coir compost and some top soil mix from the pots last year.  The Tomatoes need some support asap so I plan to sort that out tomorrow if I can find some twist clips.

Yesterday, I planted out 4 La Diva Cucumbers, 2 in each of two pots on the patio.  

Nighttime temperatures are still quite cool which seems strange for late May.  Below 10C and this is set to continue for another couple of weeks.  And no rain.

No comments: