Sunday, June 18, 2023

Frazzled plants

This week has suddenly got quite hot, despite cooler nights.  After neglecting the greenhouse for 2 days - bearing in mind I’ve not got the vent opener on, lots of the seedlings have either frazzled or gone to seed.  This weekend then, I’ve planted out the Cornflower, Verbena, Tomatoes and remaining Marigolds at home.  The first three in the front garden.  I also harvested the Potatoes from the remaining 3 pots. 

It reached 30C I think on Saturday so I didn’t go over to the plot until the evening.  I really needed to plant out most of the Cucurbits - 2 Marrow, 2 Triple Treat, 2 Courgette and 1 Pumpkin.  To do this, I had to clear Bed 7 and half of Bed 8 which was overgrown with Horsetail, Poppies and other weeds.  See below for before and after:




Before leaving, I watered all the beds and picked 4 Strawberries and all the Gooseberries off the more established bush.

It was also hot on Sunday.  With hubby busy with his main hobby, I focused on gardening at home.  The back garden had been a tip for a while with various pots around containing poorly looking plants including bolted Lettuce and Spinach.  I tidied those up, harvesting all the remaining Potatoes and planting a Courgette plant in one of the pots that had been freed up.  I planted out the remaining Tomato plants - 2 in the back garden bed and 2 in the sunny front garden bed. Unfortunately another had snapped as it had flopped over in the tray.  I planted in a pot more deeply and staked it.  As insurance, I plan to pot up some side shoots of other plants so I may not end up too short.


In the evening, I mulched the Strawberry troughs and planters, using spare plants to fill gaps.  I watered and feed them too.  I also took the opportunity to transplant the remaining Chillies into large pots to go onto a shelf (in one of the large grow-bag trays) in the greenhouse.  Things look a lot tidier though there are some half-filled pots that need using for something.



No comments: