Sunday, July 20, 2008

Things move fast in our house...

After taking the shots of some of chillies yesterday starting to turn red, when we woke this morning, we saw that they have actually turned completely red. I might add them to a burger or two for tea tonight.

I spent about 3 hours on the plot yesterday in the afternoon. The showers kept off though it was quite windy. I dug over half the bed vacated by the onions and sowed the chicory, Florence Fennel, Chinese cabbage and some radish.

I wasn't sure when I went over whether or not to expect any harvestable courgettes. I was hopeful after seeing a couple of small ones last week but I have since read that the first lot can be quite slow. Once they are cut though, they come through thick and fast. When I arrived though there were a few more small ones (see piccie below for one of the plants). Fingers crossed for some fully grown ones in the next couple of weeks.



A fellow allotmenteer was harvesting his courgettes a couple of plots away and cursed at finding one approaching marrow size. He kindly offered it to me as he and his family really don't like them at that size. I love marrows so I was happy to take it. I picked some sugar snap peas and dug up some early potatoes and went home. The main crop potatoes are starting to flower nicely so hopefully they will be ready next month.

I am about to go over to the plot for a couple of hours. I plan to dig up the remaining potatoes and plant some leeks in there place. I might also sow some main crop peas and it turns out that it might be possible to get a crop out before the frosts start. I have plenty of seeds left from the half pint I bought in Feb so it might be worth trying.

No comments: