Thursday, July 24, 2008

This Summer, I will be mostly eating courgettes

Yum! I am very sad, I know, but I have just picked my first courgettes and am very happy. See piccie below.



I'll probably stuff and cook the two round ones at the weekend but I just ate the yellow one for tea. Don't worry - this is not going to turn into a cookery blog but, for my future reference, I gently fried strips of the courgette (made using a potato peeler) in garlic-infused olive oil (garlic from the allotment) until they softened while also cooking some pasta. When the courgette strips dried out and there was a risk of burnage, I added some water from the pasta. When softened, I added a liberal amount of parmesan, salt and black pepper and a little bit of extra virgin olive oil. I mixed in the cooked pasta, plated up and grated over some more parmesan. Not rocket science, I know. With a glass of Pinot Grigio (which I don't normally like that much). Yum! I'll definitely do that again. Good job too because the courgettes might be on the menu every day for a while.

There were a couple of other allotmenteers on the site when I nipped over just now. They were mainly watering their runner beans. I didn't do any watering as I hear there might be rain tomorrow evening. If it doesn't rain, I might nip over tomorrow after work to water as things looked pretty dry today.

Aside from the courgettes, there are several tomatoes starting to form and the sweetcorn is starting to look stronger.

No comments: