Friday, October 24, 2008

I spent a few hours on the plot this afternoon (day off work). I intended to dig up the courgettes like I keep meaning to but I was struck by how poorly the soil was looking around the leeks. The piccie below shows how poorly drained it was.



The soil on the left has a green tinge to it, probably because I haven't hoed around the leeks since they have been in. I weeded around them and fluffed up the soil and I hope they perk up and put on some good growth in the next 2-3 months.

After working around the leeks, I did a spot of weeding in Bed 1 (around the raspberries, cauliflowers and perpeptual spinach). I also pruned the gooseberries a little and replanted the rhubarb. I am not sure that the rhubarb crown looks very healthy but I'll just have to wait and see.

Before signing off, here's a piccie of the flowers at the top of the Jerusalem artichokes.



Maybe I'll get round to the courgettes later this weekend...

No comments: