Sunday, October 26, 2008

Well, the Earth certainly moved today

I didn't get chance to visit the plot today but I did get round to a brief bit of pottering. I tried propagating an apple mint plant. Both the mint plants I bought this year have been acting strangely - one minute they are big, green, bushy and healthy looking and the next they are bare and brown. It might be that they are getting drier than they look at times. When I dug up the apple mint, it had plenty of strong rhizomes to cut up for propagation so I took 5 bits to pot up. The Moroccan mint didn't seem to have any long rhizomes so I've left that one for now.

Warning: this next bit has nothing to do with gardening but is just something I wanted to record to make up for this weekend's lack of gardening...

After this pottering, at about 1800ish, I was sitting on the sofa when I felt a weird thud through the house. My future mother-in-law (Jean) who sat down on the sofa about 1 second after the thud, didn't feel it and thought I was mad when I cried out "what the hell was that?" I was a bit freaked out because it sounded like someone had jumped off something upstairs and landed with quite a thump but there was no-one upstairs. It sounded much heavier than a cat - very creepy. Jean and I both heard the plastic surround on the TV set crack slightly though at the same time. Now I find out that a minor earthquake has been recorded in Herefordshire at 1806, affecting parts of Worcestershire too. Well, that certainly explains the weird thud. If Jean had sat down just 1 second earlier, I'd just have thought she was heavier than she looked and not thought anything of it. I was away last time there was a noticeable earthquake in this area which apparently shoke the everything in our flat. There's a lot going on under that there soil.

May I take this opportunity, though, to say that Jean doesn't look at all heavy ;-) (she does occasionally read this blog).

1 comment:

Dr Russell Brown said...

No, I wouldn't say Jean is heavy either. More than my life is worth...