Sunday, November 16, 2008

Hot, hot, hot

No, not the weather. It was quite wet today but the rain kept off after noon, providing an opportunity for a bit of a potter. The soil was too wet for digging though. Earlier in the day, it struck me that November is a good time to dig up horseradish roots so I thought I'd have a go at that. There seems to be two main clumps of it - one next to the shed and one next to Bed 8 (somewhere down there anyway). The one near the shed could get a little awkward if it gets much larger so I started with that (see the piccie below).



As shown, there was a little sapling in amongst the roots. I assume it is a plum tree. I decided to dig that out and replant it. For now, it is in a pot (see below) - I'll decide what to do with it another weekend.



Below is a photo of the plot taken from where the sapling is and looking up towards the road.



Before leaving the plot, I picked some apples and some salad and spinach leaves for the week ahead - adding to the heaps of big fat roots of horseradish.

When I got home, I stewed the apples ready for the freezer to make a pie or crumble some other time. The salad has been washed and stored. Now, for the horseradish... I have washed, peeled and whizzed up one of the roots. According to information on the WWW, I added some white wine vinegar to it (enough to make a paste). This should store ok for a few weeks.

Now the smug bit. I roasted some beef and some potatoes, parsnips and carrots from the allotment. I then mixed some creme fraiche with a bit of the horseradish (about 1 part horseradish to 2 parts creme fraiche, I think) and served that with the beef and veg. The WWW is right - you really don't taste the vinegar very much. Yum in my tum.

No comments: