Sunday, November 2, 2008

Rooting around

I was away for most of the weekend so only managed an hour on the plot before it got dark today.

I dug up the last (hopefully - bound to have left some volunteers somewhere) second early potatoes next to the leeks. The leeks look to have perked up significantly after last week - not many signs of rust on quick inspection.

The foliage of the Jerusalem artichokes appeared to have some frost damage in places (not a surprise) so it seemed appropriate to cut it down. I read somewhere that the cut foliage can be laid down over the ground to protect the artichokes from frost. Before doing that, I stuck some bamboo canes into the ground to mark where the plants are so that I can dig in the right place in a few weeks time when the stems may have disappeared completely. I put the canes in a few inches back from the stems so that the cut foliage could be laid directly over the plants (see piccie below).



Finally, I placed window panes over the raised beds to warm them up.

Next week I should have a few hours to spend on the plot. I really need to sort out Beds 8 and 9, by digging up the last main crop spuds and disposing of the courgette and sweetcorn plants which have finished now. I may have a bonfire on Bed 9 once that is cleared. Very seasonal...

No comments: