Sunday, November 23, 2008

November planting

I had an hour on the plot yesterday. The weather has turned a little arctic, mainly in the East of England where I was last night. There was some snow and everything. It was brighter here in the West.

I removed the peas and canes from Bed 7 (a silly idea of mine to sow peas so late) to tidy it up and watered the raised beds which are now covered with glass. I then forked over enough ground to plant some garlic (2 rows - about 20 cloves - of Fokhagyma) in Bed 5 next to the parsnips, where the carrots have been recently removed, and the 10 plants of perpetual spinach (that were still waiting in pots on the patio at home) in Bed 4 nestled up to the globe artichokes. I covered the perpetual spinach with a mesh tunnel cloche.





While planting, I was being assisted by a robin (see piccies below).





Today, while it was still light, I planned to pot up some of the horseradish roots from last weekend's harvest. I hope they didn't dry out too much - I kinda forgot about them in the week. I did get around to it but it was raining by this time. Now, I am going to retreat to the kitchen, as it gets dark outside, to process the remaining roots for the Winter storage in jars.

No comments: