Sunday, January 11, 2009

To live by the moon or not...

I was planning to do my first sowings of 2009 today. Sweet peas and onions. However, it is full moon right now and the Gardeners Calendar suggests that this is a bad time to sow onions. Next Saturday would be better. Flowering plants are ok apparently, so ok for the sweet peas. There are also suggestions that gardening on a full moon is generally a bad idea was things are more likely to go wrong. I don't know much about biodynamics but an article in Gardener's World by Toby Buckland was interesting and his, admittedly small, experiment suggested that it might be beneficial for things like peas and carrots. I had considered experimenting with it sometime but hadn't made my mind up really. To me, it would reduce the need for me to choose what to sow when.

I think the onions can wait until next weekend particularly given the cold snap we are having. I think I will get the sweet peas going so there might be some sign of new growth next weekend.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh I think that you should try and live by the moon for a while, Zoe. What have you got to lose?
I have several friends who think stuff certainly happens round full moons.
I am always very conscious that my sleep pattern changes.
I suppose that's tied up with the moon light.

Love Jean