Sunday, February 22, 2009

How many Jerusalem artichokes does a girl need?

Look at all the new space I have on the plot now the brambles have been cleared...



The gentleman responsible was raking over his plot today so I went over to say thank you. He asked me what I am going to plant there. I hadn't really thought about it. Perhaps this gives me proper space for flowers. Ooooo.

I went over to the plot today to harvest some veg for dinner and my fellow allotmenteer helped out. The last 2 Jerusalem artichoke plants proved to be astonishlingly prolific, resulting in an overly stuffed carrier bag to lug home. Some of the tubers were as big as jacket potatoes. I gave 8 tubers to my helper to plant on his plot.

I also harvested 6-7 baby leeks and some parsnips (see below for the haul)



It was roast pork belly tonight with boiled Pink Fir Apple potatoes, roasted parsnips, sauted baby leeks and apple sauce derived from allotment produce, and other stuff bought in. It seemed to go down well.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Isn't the friendship with your fellow allotmenteers one of the best parts of having an allotment? People being generous with their experience & time.
Geoff wishes he'd been at your place for supper!

Shaheen said...

Hi Flowerpowergirl,
I came across your blog by chance and I really like it. I am just starting off and have noted that a lot of the issues you have encountered, I am just starting to experience. For example all those jerusalem artichokes. I have added you to my blog as a favourite. Please check out my blog allotment2kitchen.blogspot.com

FlowerPowerGirl said...

Thanks mangocheeks! It is great to hear from you. I have now added your blog to my list of recommended ones and I'll keep track of your veg growing and cooking. It is reassuring that you are experiencing the same sort of issues.

Jerusalem artichokes crisps are a fantastic idea to go with the soup.