Thursday, March 5, 2009

Back to digging

I spent my day off work mainly on the allotment. It was a sunny but nippy day. 5 hours digging meant that I was cosy and warm most of the time but could feel the cold when I stopped for a spot of lunch with a fellow allotmenteer who was putting up a polytunnel on his plot. There were a few people around making the most of the sunshine.

The very same chap made a start on digging over part of my plot (not entirely with my ok but that's another story) to reclaim areas next to Beds 1 and 2 which had been subsumed by the path between my plot and the neighbour's. Today, I dug over the rest of that side right down beside Beds 4, 6 and 8. My back now aches a bit but that is cool. It really feels like I have done some exercise today.

While digging, I uncovered a fair bit of horseradish root which I relocated to Bed 5 next to the globe artichokes (after offering some to my lunchmate).

Back tomorrow to clear some more ground - probably Bed 8 ready for potatoes in a couple of weeks time.

No comments: