Thursday, June 25, 2009

Long time no blog

Things have really hotted up on Plot 35. I was on holiday for a week leaving a fellow allotmenteer to water it (I will return the favour when he is away later in the Summer). I did expect to be able to harvest some spuds on my return but it turned out that there was much more on offer when I visited last Sunday.

The cauliflower that was the size of a cricket ball the day before the holiday, was full-sized a week afterwards.



There were 3 globe artichokes of a reasonable size to cut. The outer petals seemed to be starting to open so I thought it would be a good time to harvest them.



Some broad bean pods looked large enough to pick.



Though they won't be ready for 6 months, the Jerusalem artichokes are making their presence known.



In the end, I harvested the following little pile of lovely grub.



In celebration of Midsummers Day here and Midwinters Day in Antartica (see Andy's blog), I invited a couple of nice friends round for a roast chicken dinner served with the spuds, broad beans and cauliflower cheese. The beetroot and artichokes will be enjoyed another day.

4 comments:

Shaheen said...

Welcome back.

I was wondering about those artichokes.

A lovely harvest, the cauliflower looks especially good. What variety is it?

FlowerPowerGirl said...

Thank you. I hope you and your allotment are well.

The cauliflower is just an 'All The Year Round'. I had a quick look at the others yesterday evening and they are not looking nearly as good now. Perhaps I should have covered over the curds with the leaves. Still learning...but it has encouraged me to consider sowing more for next year.

Shaheen said...

Thanks. I am growing some of them too, must take a peek at them tomorrow.

Anonymous said...

That cauliflower looks brilliant. I know exactly what you mean about when they just slightly go over. This happened to me last year. I had two beautiful cauliflowers, one I picked when it was like that, the other one had gone over after just a few days.

You must have to catch them really quick, although I guess you can keep them in the fridge once picked?

The one that was harvested was well worth the effort - another veg that is really much better when very fresh.