Sunday, June 28, 2009

Berry good

I've been away at a lovely wedding this weekend so have not had chance to attend to the plot. Fingers crossed that there will be lots more to harvest next time I go. I did do some allotment-related things today though. I cooked and ate my first 3 globe artichokes. They were small but very nice. I boiled them in lemony water for 20 mins and then put them in the oven with some olive oil, lemon juice and seasoning to finish cooking alongside some lamb spare ribs. The prep is a bit of a faff I suppose but I'd say that it is worth it. I'll see how I feel later in the season though when I will hopefully have prepared quite a few.

At home, I potted up some purple sprouting seedlings and sowed some cauliflowers. I resowed some Florence Fennel as the previous lot had got a tad leggy. I sowed some dill, borage and catnip in a wine box on the patio and some lettuce in one of the troughs.

Just now, I harvested 5 or so strawberries and raspberries and a couple of handfuls of redcurrants. I am just storing currants in the freezer until there is a decent quantity. I'm thinking either sorbet or a currant-flavoured liquer. Any suggestions welcome...

No comments: