Sunday, March 7, 2010

Back to work

Sorry for the lack of photos in recent blogs - I really need to get a new camera.

I spent a couple of hours over at the plot yesterday and cut down the rest of the brambles. Result! Now I can start digging the roots up and plotting a nice bonfire to get rid of all heaps of debris from previous seasons.

Today, the sun was shining so I spent longer over at the plot. Still chilly mind. I dug over Bed 4 and part of Bed 6, removing the grass path between them. I dug up the Jerusalem artichokes and gave some of the best looking tubers to my neighbour to grow. My back certainly feels like it has had some exercise. I removed a barrow-load of stones from the beds as I went along.

My main task next week is to plant out some spuds. I've got visitors coming the weekend after so it is next weekend or the last weekend in March. Either way is fine but I'd like to get them in asap. I plan to dig over Beds 5 and 7, removing the grass between them as well, to make 1 larger bed for the potatoes. It has been 3 years I think since I last grew spuds in that spot so this should be fine, although blight is still to be expected.

And I've got some sweet peas to plant out. It is due to dip below 0C tonight so I'll wait a few more days before setting those out to catch the sun. However, today has been so nice and sunny that someone went up in a hot air balloon.

2 comments:

Shaheen said...

Back to work for sure.
I've had a good day in my garden too.

Sue Garrett said...

Brambles are ALWAYS hard work and Jerusalem artichokes not exactly easy - no wonder your bad ached!