Sunday, July 16, 2023

Bountiful harvest despite the dreaded club root

A very breezy weekend.  Fairly sunny, after heavy rain yesterday morning, but very breezy.  Yesterday, was primarily a day for housework.  I did take a look in the greenhouse only to find a fat Cucumber hiding behind a leaf.  I also harvesting the Garlic from the two pots near the garage.  I should have done it earlier and I had lost 2-3 bulbs.  The remaining few looked good though so were put into the greenhouse to dry out.

Today, I focused on gardening.  To begin with, I headed to the local garden centre to find some copper tape.  No luck on that but I did blow my birthday garden vouchers on a lovely little Fig plant.  It even has a couple of fruit on it.  I also bought some Carrot and Spring Onion seeds as they were 75% off.  I was very disciplined.  

While there, I saw a lovely Red Admiral on one of the potted plants undercover.

I did find copper tape at the other garden centre, just a little further away.  I then hurriedly potted on the Fig before gathering up the spare Tomato plants and the new veg cages that had arrived during the week and heading over to the plot.  

At the plot, I erected the veg cages over Beds 1 and 2.  Just in time as the Kalettes and one of the Calabrese plants were started to stoop over.  


The next main job was the plant out the 6 Tomato plants.  I decided to put them in Bed 4 to the south of the Jerusalem Artichokes.  To do this I lifted the tiny Onion plants to use as Spring Onions.  It was clear they were not going to progress any further.

After that, I did some weeding in random places and thinned the Parsnips.  I also harvested a few more things - only a few Boysenberries but 1 Courgette, 1 Cabbage, some Perpetual Spinach and a large handful of Green and Yellow Beans.  Mark kindly gave me a large red, frilly Lettuce which took up most of the trug. I also harvested some small spuds from another very sickly looking Potato in Bed 5.  The gaps can be seen in the picture below.


Unfortunately, although the Cabbage looked small but perfectly formed, it did appear to have club root.  Ah well.  The nearby Calabrese is showing signs of developing heads.  

The Kale and Kalettes look fine in Bed 6 despite me forgetting to apply lime.  

Priorities for the coming week/weekend included transplanting the Leek seedlings from Bed 4 to Bed 6 and tidying up the ‘staging area’ which is being taken over by Nettles.

No comments: