Sunday, July 16, 2023

Rain at last

Very late last Sunday evening, just before the light disappeared, I nipped to the plot to do a few jobs at speed.  These included seeing if I could move the Borlotti Beans in Bed 3 elsewhere to give more space to the Celery and Celeriac.  However, on arrival, I was reminded that the Beans are developing pods already so moving would be unwise.  Plus, I had no clear idea where they would go.  In the end, I simply weeded around them all and that looks to have freed up a fair amount of space.

I was especially keen to sow Carrots and Spring Onions.  For this, I ripped out all the Radish and Turnips - the later had not come to much at all - to make space.  With rain forecast for most of the next fortnight, it made sense to get the Carrots in as germination may be more effective with the moist soil.  I sowed F1 Resistafly (Sutton) and Photon Spring Onions (Johnsons).  While there I also harvested some Potatoes from one of the plants that looked very sick.  Right in the corner of Bed 5 near the Raspberries and external path.  I got 6 or so small-ish tubers to take home.  It does look like there is some blight on the nearby plants but it is not visible on any stems yet as far as I can see so I won’t take action at this point.  I will need to watch for this with the wet, humid weather set to linger for a time. 

On the way home from work on Thursday evening, I popped by the plot for 5 mins, mainly to check on the potatoes.  I harvested a bowl of Boysenberries and the first 2 Courgettes.  


At home, I spotted a couple of large slugs who had emerged in the rain.  One was sat in the Onion pot and had clearly munched its way through them all.  A complete loss.  I am going to consider buying some copper tape, as per my Dad’s suggestion, to put around some pots before sowing some seeds at the weekend.  Obviously, it won’t help with any slugs already in the pots but we’ll see.



No comments: