Sunday, July 9, 2023

Getting a tad crowded

A cooler weekend which is welcome.  There had been a bit of rain/drizzle later in the week so plants are not looking so desperate.  I even closed the greenhouse door last night as it felt cool yesterday evening.

On Saturday, I had 2-3 hours at the plot so I picked the last of the Broad Beans and weeded around those as well as the Brassicas in Beds 1 and 2.  I had a think about netting for the said Brassicas and, having spoken to another plot holder, will make it easier on myself and invest in Gardening Naturally cages and netting for those.  I think some of the Boysenberries are getting eaten so I draped some netting over those to make a little trickier for winged thieves but so they can still get to some without getting trapped hopefully.

At home, I tidied up the 3 Tomato plants in the greenhouse and potted up 6-7 of the sideshoots I had rooting in other pots.  I will probably take those to the plot unless I can find some space for them at home. I gave the remaining 10 or so Florence Fennel seedlings to my in-laws as they sowed some in the week so clearly have an interest (and space I don’t have currently).

On Sunday, I mainly focused on turning all the compost bins.  At home, the bin on the right had broken down pretty well (as shown below).


The bin the left had only recently been emptied so I filled it with material from my in-laws.  Later in the week I received two further bags so it is now completely full and heating up nicely.

While it was less hot than previous weekend, I took the opportunity to turn the compost bins at the plot too.  Bin 1 is full of material that should be ready for spreading in Autumn/Winter along with half of Bin 4.  Bins 2 and 3 are now full of fairly fresh/recent material so I could turn and mix them together in a couple of months perhaps.  

Before leaving, and after harvesting Lettuce and Perpetual Spinach, I planted out some Swede seedlings among the Sweetcorn.  I reasoned these might appreciate the shade in the next couple of months.  I also planted two Brussels Sprout seedlings in Bed 1. 

No comments: