Saturday, May 24, 2008

So much for a wet start...

...to the Bank Holiday weekend. It was forecast to rain from the early afternoon onwards but nothing so far. Just a fairly strong but warmish wind. Clear-ish skies at the moment. Apparently there will be heavy rain tomorrow and Monday but there may be a chance to get onto the plot on Monday morning. Fingers crossed - I could do with some time to sow some spring onions and asparagus peas.

After cutting some long grass, doing some light weeding and netting up the strawberries and gooseberries - both of which are beginning to fruit - I picked a handful of broad bean pods. There are a bit on the young side but I might try them cooked whole in some butter. One of my allotment friends gave me some lettuce seedlings which I planted next to the gooseberry bush so they could be protected by its netting. See piccies below for the broad beans and gooseberries.





Back home, the chillies are looking great (see piccie below). I have 18 plants between four different types and about half of them have developed buds. I bought the seeds from the Real Seed Company. There are:

  • Early Green JalapeƱo - green then red, blunt-tipped;

  • 'Wenks Yellow Hots' - bright yellow before turning orange then red;

  • 'Westlandse Lange Rode' - long and red;

  • 'Iranian Round' Big Cherry Chilli - spherical bright red fruit (starting off green).


I will keeping 1 of each type but will be giving away the others. I am quite pleased as I was completely unsuccessful last year when I sowed some seeds collected from a shop-bought chilli. It was probably an F1.



The tomatoes are still looking a bit sad. I went to buy some grow bags today but the instructions suggested that planting out shouldn't be done until flowers have appeared. I will keep the plants outside to harden up. I may sow some others as a contingency as I understand that it isn't too late to sow.

Another new addition for the patio collection...a grape vine. From Tesco. Again, I was unsupervised so it really wasn't my fault.

Oooo...and the fifth Jerusalem artichoke plant might be making an appearance after all. It looks like it has been nibbled by something though.

No comments: