Sunday, May 4, 2008

Sowing for the three sisters

It has stopped raining now so I might be able to nip over to the plot for a spot of digging. While waiting on the weather, I have been sowing seeds and repotting some herbs and shrubs. I have sowed the following:
  • Garlic chives;
  • 4 x Globe Artichoke (Green Globe Improved);
  • 36 x Sweetcorn (F1 Swift);
  • 8 x Summer Squash (Early Prolific Straightneck);
  • 8 x Courgette (Tondo di Piacenza);
  • 8 x Squash (F1 Cobnut);
  • 8 x Achocha (Fat Baby);
  • 11 x Climbing French beans (Fasold);

The sweetcorn is for a 6x6 square with beans climbing up (the French beans plus some borlotti and others to be sowed another time) and cucurbits in the spaces of the grid. That's the plan anyway. After a little Internet research, I have decided just to sow one type of sweetcorn. It seems that cross-fertilisation is a problem for supersweet varieties but I won't take the risk this year.

I repotted some Rosemary, Apple Mint, French Tarragon and Orange-scented Thyme which are on the patio.

I forgot to say that yesterday I bought a lime plant. I don't really need it especially given that I should really wait until the lemon plant has either recovered or definitely bought it. The new addition to the collection is quite bushy and has some tiny fruit growing. I really shouldn't be allowed to go to Garden Centres unsupervised. I also brought an orchid and a pair of Japanese Maple shrubs. I only went for some netting and sweetcorn seeds.

No comments: