Saturday, May 3, 2008

What's the difference between...

...dock and comfrey?

I didn't know this before but apparently comfrey has hairy leaves while dock does not. Also, the leaves on a dock are a bit more slender than those on a comfrey. Well, this is what I was told by an experienced fellow allotmenteer. I thought I had lots of comfrey around my plot but half of these are actually dock. You live and learn...

Today, I dug over the L-shaped bed in front of the shed (the corner making up the full square bed contains strawberries) and planted out some brassicas (see piccie below). In went cabbages (Savoy King and Greyhound), Brussels Sprouts (Bedford Fillbasket - I like that name), Broccoli (I don't know what type as this was given to be by a fellow allotmenteer and I forgot to ask for the name of the variety), Purple Sprouting and Kale. The things I grew from seed (all except for the Broccoli and Purple Sprouting) were generally a bit leggy - I should have planted them out earlier.



As can just be seen, I have placed some collars around most of the plants. These are roughly 15cm square and are inpregnated with copper so will hopefully keep the slugs off as well as Cabbage Root Fly. Fingers crossed.

Tomorrow, I plan on sowing Sweetcorn, Climbing and Runner beans, and Squashes for a Three Sisters bed as well as digging over a bed for my main crop potatoes that really need to go in soon.

What's the deal with capitalising plant names? I need to look into this...watch this space.

No comments: