Monday, June 16, 2008

Back to Blighty

Not to panic - it's not the potato kind.

Just a quick post today. I've just got back from a week's holiday so was keen to check things over. I was pleased to see some ripe strawberries nestling on top of the straw - my first proper strawberry harvest - I had two last year I think. I picked those for my dinner along with some broad beans and some chard which was going to seed (see the smug photo below).



Most of the sweetcorn I sowed a couple of weeks ago is still there but has been nibbled a bit. Before I went on holiday, I did plant some cucurbits and sow some climbing beans among some of sweetcorn to start off the three sisters bed. The cucurbits seemed mostly intact but no sign of the beans yet.

I saw that one of the first early potato plants had developed purple flowers. I believe that this is sign that they are ready to harvest. Potato salad this weekend then...

...alongside an awful lot of weeding.

No comments: