Saturday, June 28, 2008

Strawberry theft

Apparently, someone is pitching strawberries from our site. That certainly explains why the many green ones growing nicely in my strawberry have not made an appearance. A couple of weeks ago, a fellow allotmenter commented that his had gone missing. This is a shame and I hope it stops happening. I'll look into some sort of security light and will report back to my friends on the site. Some TV programmes featured sections on the rising occurence of allotment theft. Previous to this, I had not suffered from it.

Some things have progressed since last week. The tomato plants are starting to flower and some parsnips have germinated. It turns out that all that pre-chitting stuff was not necessary. Keeping seeds moist seems to be the main thing.

I focused on a spot of weeding today. A quick bit of hoeing will mean that there will be space to plant some new stuff next to the parsnips and the chard and perpetual spinach The chard and spinach are a bit past their best so I plan to harvest their leaves and dig them up soon to completely free up that bed. That might be where I put the leeks.

No comments: