Saturday, June 21, 2008

Brand new information...

A little bit of Internet research has thrown up a rabbit deterrent in the form of cayenne pepper. Apparently, sprinking it around the base of susceptible plants puts rabbits off. I might try this cos I am getting little disheartened about my cabbages disappearing all the time.

It rained here in the morning but was mainly dry in the afternoon if very grey. I didn't venture onto the allotment but tidied up the garden. I sowed some more salad leaves as the others had gone to seed in my absence. I divided up some primroses and pruned some plants including the bay shrub. The bay prunings are drying now ready for winter stews.

The lemon plant I had washed a couple of months ago, clearly too vigorously, had gone completely brown so I have disposed of it. I am focusing on learning how to keep the lime plant alive for not though I have put a lemon plant on my birthday list. Today, I put the lime plant on a high shelf in the lean-to for some fresh air after giving it a good water and feed. Fingers crossed...

One of the chilli plants has three large chillis on it and is busy starting off a couple of others. I am now just waiting for them to turn red. Can't wait.

The foliage of the Anya potatoes I planted in a couple of pots on the patio was growing strongly for a few weeks but recently it had flopped. This may have been because the pots were not quite deep enough. As I couldn't be bothered to go to the shops for tea, I ended up harvesting them. Many were very small but they roasted up nicely with some olive oil, tomatos and chorizo.

It is forecast to be drier tomorrow so I'll be over on the plot.

No comments: