Sunday, June 1, 2008

I love car boot sales...

which feature plant stalls. I bought 10 cabbage (Primo), 12 cauliflower (All the Year Round) and 12 calabrese plants for £4.00 to replace those that were nibbled away by the pesky rabbits on the site. A nearby garden centre are selling similar plants for £1.99 for 6. Given the apparent thrifty culture of allotmenteers, this is something to be very smug about. I also bought some herbs (lemon thyme, chives and sage) - I have no self control when faced with bargain plants.

I planted out the brassicas and fixed some netting over the top - properly this time (see piccie below) - so hopefully they will still be there when I next visit the allotment in a week's time. The Primo plants are to the right of the strawberries which are beginning to fruit nicely.



I planted out 6 tomato plants next to the Jerusalem Artichokes and early potatoes. As the piccies below show, a couple of them have yellow blotches on some of the leaves. Hopefully this is just a symptom of fluctuating temperatures or a nutritional deficiency and not something contagious. I'll check this out some more.





Finally, I sowed some Tender and True parsnip seeds. One last shot at getting some to grow for Christmas.

Below is a photo that my other half took yesterday using his new fancy camera. I was in the middle of digging over the bed for the sweetcorn.



Below is a photo of some sort of bug but I have no idea what it is. Another bit of research is required...

No comments: