Sunday, September 7, 2008

A bit close for comfort

Went over to the plot for a potter around. There is flooding and it has reached my compost bins at the bottom. It has not quite reached the raised beds thankfully (see piccie below).



It should be ok - the water shouldn't reach the raised beds. There is a little ledge between the water and the beds and it hasn't rained today (certainly not since 1100). Fingers crossed (there is a lot of finger crossing in this business).

In Bed 1, I planted out some perpetual spinach (about 12 plants), 4 leftover cauliflowers and 1 kale (at least I think it was a kale). I also dug up some of the main crops in Bed 9. The crop was disappointing - each plant only provided about 6 small tubers. I think this is down to the fact that they weren't planted deep enough. Noted.

As well as the spuds, I took home some courgettes, the first cob of sweetcorn and a cabbage. The sweetcorn was delicious (2 hrs from plant to plate).

No comments: