Sunday, September 7, 2008

Fat baby

Strange title, eh?

Back today after going to the Bristol Organic Food Festival (bought some seeds from Jekka's Herb Farm stall - more about those another time). It has been raining lots this week. It isn't raining just now so I'll nip over to the plot in a mo. I'm a bit worried about flooding though as the river has burst its banks up by the motorway. I have some perpetual spinach to plant out.

When I got back, I was greated by a surprise on the patio. My Achocha ("Fat Baby") has made some cool, spiky fruits. The first piccie below shows how the achocha plants (planted in a circle around a terracotta pot) have enveloped the olive plant. Poor olive plant. The second shows a couple of the fruit. I think the one in the centre is ready to harvest and fry up. It supposedly tastes like green pepper when fried. When small, it can be used raw like cucumber.





The plants have been looking quite poorly and yellow for a few weeks so I wasn't expecting any form of harvest. I gave them a feed about 4 weeks ago but it didn't appear to make any difference. Perhaps that is just the way of the achocha...

No comments: