Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Tomato jungle

Nipped over to the plot this evening. I've been meaning to get over to it for a few days but the rain has stopped me. I went over while the sky wasn't too grey on Sunday but after arriving and harvesting a handful of broad beans the heavens opened and soaked me. I was clearly not meant to do any gardening this week.

Anyway, the rain stopped for this evening. My focus was on the tomato patch in Bed 7. The plants have suddenly taken off and have toppled over and got tangled up with bindweed. I went through them, weeding, tying in the main stems and pinching out sideshoots. Hopefully they will continue to grow and flower before fruiting nicely without blight rearing its ugly head. I did manage to break one plant but the other 15 seemed to come out of it unscathed.

A couple of courgettes are starting to grow but there are a fair few slugs about so I sprinkled over some pellets.

I finished up harvesting some spuds and 1 globe artichoke. I look forward to tidying things up at the weekend.

No comments: