Sunday, February 26, 2023

Laying new paths

Bit chilly this weekend with some sunny intervals.  Little bit of drizzle yesterday but dry so far today.

I had a couple of hours at the plot yesterday when I laid down paths and mulch on Bed 4.  I forgot to take a photo so will have to record that here another time.  For mulch, I emptied Bin 1 completely and that covered one and a half of the new beds.  

Today, I emptied Bin 2 to mulch the rest of the bed from yesterday and to fill 4 compost bags ready to spread onto Bed 2 when that is sorted out.  Some of the contents of Bin 3 (towards the bottom) may be approaching ready for mulching but that will need sorting out.  It would be great if I could use that for Bed 2.  That will be for next weekend.

I turned the top of Bin 3 and all of Bin 4 into Bins 1 and 2 along with Ivy clippings and coffee grounds (from a local cafe).  Perhaps a bit too much brown material but we’ll see.



I bought home with me: some Jerusalem artichokes, some tiny parsnips and leeks (the last on the plot), 1 large parsnip from Mark and 1.5 stalks of Brussels Sprouts from another neighbour.  I also brought back 3 Hybrid Berry roots which I’d layered in the corner of Bed 2.  Unfortunately I snapped one of them but the root system looked so strong that I took it home anyway in case it resprouts a new stem.  I potted those up at home.

Shockingly, I found about a dozen or so Australian flatworms under the strawberry troughs yesterday.  I wonder if they are prevalent in the lawn which might partially explain the incredibly poor aeration.  I’ll keep on it.

In terms of seeds and seedlings, this weekend has been an active one.  Yesterday, I potted on the Mixed Alpine Strawberries, Aubergines (more of both have germinated in the past week), Foxgloves, Rudbeckia, Nasturtiums and Dahlias.  Today I sowed the seeds below:





My next job is to empty Bin 1 at home, mulch the beds in the front garden and turn Bin 2.  Not sure that can realistically be done until the weekend.  I might be able to do a little tomorrow in my lunch break.  Not enough energy now.





   



No comments: