Saturday, February 4, 2023

Sowing flowers

Bit tired with a cold this weekend so not doing too much.  I sowed 8 types of flowers today:

  • Bluebells (English)
  • Cowslips
  • Dahlias
  • Foxgloves
  • Marigolds (French)
  • Nasturtiums
  • Rudbeckias
  • Verbena

I cannot locate my sole propagator lid so have deployed 2 cake boxes - the ones with a clear plastic lid and clips to secure the lid to the base.

All but the Bluebells are inside.  I am hoping the cold (sub-zero) of the next few nights will encourage them to germinate.

I also cut back the old leaves from the 3 Hellebores in the front garden and pruned back (hard) the Alan Titchmarsh Rose.  

A brief inspection earlier today, underneath the three Strawberry planters next to the greenhouse, showed up a single flatworm under two of them and a little family under the third.  Later, a repeat inspection uncovered another one, along with what looked like a black flatworm.  It was a bit like a leech.  Nevertheless, several small slugs are also under the planters along with an earthworm earlier. 

I’ve put two compost bags on the back garden bed, each folded up, under a brick to see if any flatworms can be attracted in the cold weather.  

I don’t expect to get to the plot tomorrow but, if I do, I’ll drop off some cardboard ready to lay down some paths of wood chip.  I may turn over the right hand compost bin at home.  




No comments: