Wednesday, February 15, 2023

Speedy cultivation

Last weekend, I managed to get a couple of hours at the plot and I focused on Bed 4.  The picture below shows how it looked when I arrived.


The soil was perfect for weeding - just moist enough for the roots to pull out easily.  I hand-weeded most of the bed and used a spade to cut a wonky edge (I’ll tidy that up another time).  Before leaving as the light was fading, I tried using the cultivator to clear the strawberry bed.  The old strawberry plants came out easily - bone dry so not sure they’ve have made much of a comeback anyhow.  I did a first pass over that part before harvesting some parsnips, leeks, Jerusalem artichokes and a handful of Spanish radish.  

When I left the bed looked a lot clearer.  Next weekend I could finish it by tidying up the Boysenberries (I’ve been inspired by something on a Joy Larkcom book about twirling the stems around parallel wires and I think that will really help to manage them) and clearing the weeds around their base, and setting out a path or two with the cardboard and wood chips.  I then plan to clear Bed 2.


Back at home the seeds are germinating fairly well.  Around 17 Sweet Peas, 1 Black Beauty and 4-5 Early Long Purple Aubergine.  The newer variety of Alpine Strawberries, 4 Dahlias, a couple of Nasturtiums and French Marigolds, and lots of Foxglove.  

I’ve been checking under the Strawberry troughs and have uncovered more flatworms.  Earlier in the week I found one under something in the greenhouse.  None under the bags I put on the garden bed so I’ve removed those.  The monitoring continues.

No comments: