Saturday, August 2, 2008

Focusing on the garden

Today has been fantastic weather-wise. Warm but not too hot in the morning - some threats of rain but really amounting to anything more than a couple of drops. Warmer in the evening though the wind is picking up a little.

Today was all about the garden at home. One corner of it was taken over by old and new Summer raspberries and it desperately needed clearing out. The cat was enjoying the den it provided for her but it was still time to go - the raspberries had moreorless finished fruiting. So, I trimmed the plum tree and the roses. I moved one of the roses from under the plum tree to give it more light. I cleared out the old raspberry canes and moved the new ones into position snugly against the fence. I then went to move the gooseberry bush from behind the coldframe so that I could move the coldframe back against the fence. A few branches of the bush must have come into contact with the soil over the past few months and developed roots. There was one main bush, one smaller one and several single stem plants (plus a small handful of large red fruit). I have planted the two biggest ones near the raspberries and have potted the other up to get established. Hopefully, I'll have some to give away early next Spring. I also put some canes up for the two sets of tomatoes I have on the go in the garden.

I nipped over to the allotment to put the cuttings from the roses, plum tree and raspberries, which I chopped up, onto the compost bin. It is almost full now - I might have to organise another soon. I checked the courgettes and found two large, round marrows (stuffed marrow on the menu tomorrow me thinks) and three more reasonable-sized cougettes to pick. The tomatoes are looking good - the fruits I saw on them last weekend are much bigger. It is not a surprise that thirsty things are growing well at the moment. The weather has been perfect for them this week with a few long bursts of heavy rain with warm sunshine in between.

I think the focus will return to the allotment tomorrow...

No comments: