Sunday, August 31, 2008

Rain stops play

Yesterday was dry though a bit cloudy. Quite warm though. Andy corrected some of the screws on the one raised bed frame that I had put together last week and confirmed that it was difficult to get them in. Then he put another frame together for me.

Today, we took them over to the plot and Andy hammered them in (see piccie below).



After a break, I returned to the plot to sow some seeds into the new raised beds and to harvest some courgettes and fruit. I added a thin layer of peat-free compost to the new beds, then it started raining quite hard though not for long. I went home thinking that was the lot for today.

It cleared up and the next trip to the plot was more fruitful. I sowed some lettuce and spinach seeds in the raised beds and covered them with a net. I also picked some apples from the tree right at the end of the plot (I thought it was on my neighbour's side but he insists that it is on my side), a small, pitiful handful of blackberries and several courgettes.

I did a spot of weeding round some of the cabbages, the ones right in front of the shed. I should have uncovered the mesh cloche a while ago as they were getting big. There were loads of slugs around because of the rain, halfway up cabbages, on top of cloches and among the courgetts. I gathered some of the most visible ones and put them unharmed onto the compost heap. I liberally sprinkled organic slug pellets around the most susceptible plants.

No comments: