Wednesday, August 6, 2008

This and that...

I finally got round to the allotment today. There has been no rush to water anything as the last couple of days have been quite wet. Yesterday was a little damp so I focused on the garden. Today was shower-free if a little grey though it warmed up in the afternoon, just as I hit the plot for a few hours.

There was lots of tidying up to be done and the soil was in top condition for weeding. I started with the bramble near the top. It was getting in the way of digging up the early potatoes. There was a lot to cut back but I have left the branches that are busy fruiting. I moved on to the peas which I dug up. I haven't saved any of them for seed because they haven't been looking very healthy recently. I have put the chard that has gone to seed quite wildly on the compost heap. I plan to use the vacated bed for the globe artichokes. I have ten plants but they are bunched up too close to each other at one end of the bed. At the weekend, I will transplant these to give them more space.

As well as three carrier bags full of potatoes, I harvested five courgettes, the last of the peas and a small bunch of spring onions which I had grown (and forgot about) on my neighbour's patch.

Til the weekend...

No comments: