Sunday, March 22, 2009

Have leeks. Will travel.

Whereas yesterday was warm and sunny, today had sunny intervals and was a little chillier. It is set to rain tomorrow and to get a little colder. The rain is very welcome as the taps on the site are not yet switched on and there is no more water in my water butt. A drought is not particularly useful when seeds are going into the ground.

Two short digging sessions over at the plot today. During the first one, I dug over Bed 6 and half of Bed 7 (it was quite hard going). During the second one, I dug over pretty much all of Bed 9. See piccie below.



On Bed 9, there was a lot of the weed pictured below. I was worried this might be ground elder but, judging by photos of that on the Interweb, it isn't.



In Bed 6, I found a few red Spring onions which I sowed months ago and as I didn't see much sign of them a couple of months after sowing, I didn't think they had grown. What a nice surprise to find a dozen of them dotted around.

I emptied out the smaller of my two compost heaps onto the larger one which I will leave to cook. I have restarted the smaller one with yesterday's lawn mowings, some veg peelings and some tired salad leaves that were growing over Winter in troughs in the garden. There were a couple of ladybirds on the small compost bin. I saw a fair few of them today.



Before leaving the plot, I removed the wire mesh from the broad bean patch as some of them are emerging now. On Wednesday, I counted 4 seedlings coming through (out of the 52 sowed). Today, there were 21. I also harvested some leeks.

No comments: